Saturday, June 21, 2008

Tomorrow...tomorrow...

Greetings, Gentle Reader, July 21, 2008

As I sit here this evening on my mom's porch at Lake Grorge, two thoughts emerge.

The first is my recollection that the last time I wrote a blog entry from this halcyon spot, I was training aggressively for The Big Row of 2006, knocking off 20+ mile days, hardening the hands and derriere, developing the attitudes of patience and perseverance that that would see me through the 452 miles to come. Today, my first and only day here at the Lake- the objective being to collect my boat for this upcoming adventure- the boat didn't even get wet; it went from its rack in the garage directly to the roof of the car, ready for the drive to Lake Erie tomorrow morning. Other than handling the boat, today's most strenuous act was chipping some ice out of the freezer for the delightful Vodka Tonic. That ice was really wedged in there.

The second and more pleasant thought is what a joy it is to be here, if only for a day. This place is the center of gravity for my family, best friends, and many, many happy memories. There simply has to be some psychic benefit to this (however brief) recharge. Yes, my preparation is too much like The Music Man's "Think System"...but believe me, it's the Think System performed at a very, very high level of competence indeed.

So, mom will accompanying me to the shores of Lake Erie tomorrow- what an intrepid mom! I hope to be on the water by 2 PM or so, leaving enough daylight to get off of Lake Erie, through Buffalo, and into what the map promises to be some clear countryside (and promising campsites) by dark. I'll be calling in to Kathy or borrowing computers for entries once I get going...I know I owe my faithful readers more than these lack-of-preparation confessionals.

Hey, the VT's getting low; time to chip a little more ice to get the wrists in shape.

To mom, Bill, Matt, Peg, Kathy, and the rest of the supporting cast, thanks for helping me get this far, even if I have yet to get wet.

Hugs,

Mr. Frei

2 comments:

Pruning Matters said...

Wishing maybe that it's July (was thrown by your date of the blog)...good luck Al...stay in the moment!!

Anonymous said...

Al,

Good luck and happy canaling. I hope to see you in Whitehall at the conclusion of your trip. I'll have some frosty beverages ready...