Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Bonus Blogette

Greetings, Gentle Reader,

It's now July and I'm back on the canal, streaking east. Yesterday was a 36 miler, much of it through rain, and my arrival at Lock 24 coincided with a downpour followed by a delightful interview - and subsequent dinner - with Richard Palmer, editor of The Canal Times. His beat is literally the full breadth of the Canal, making my episodic row look like a lark. He joined Peg, Kathy, and me for dinner...and no doubt learned a lot more than will be - or should be - printed.
I also interviewed with The Finger Lakes Times yesterday via phone. If it's a slow news day, I'll be something of a celebrity in these here parts. Uh oh.

This morning it's off to one more lock and then Oneida Lake, 19 miles away and itself 22 miles across. I have been warned of this lake since Tonawanda a week ago; apparently its shallow depth and lack of protection can make it the Kiddie Pool from Hell in any kind of breeze, so I'll sniff my way out and see what the conditions are like this afternoon.

I'm sore all over today; yesterday I sustained a 4.8 mph avg for 36 miles...really booking with the load I'm carrying (and am), and the legs and shoulders feel every stroke of it this morning. But I'm psyched make it on to the lake, and the 'lil Shackelton in my aspires to get across the thing today, weather permitting. When your Inner Voice is Evil Twin Skippy Shackelton, only trouble can ensue.

It's nice to still enjoy the companionship of Peg & Kathy on this leg; I think they'll be with me for another day or so, and then the blog entries and pictures will take a breather until I get home. I'll still be calling in and Kathy will post, of course, but I'll miss the electronic communion with you, my Gentle Readers.

That's it for now. Some new pix are up. I don't know how Kathy does it, and probably never will.

Hugs,

Al

1 comment:

nschilling3 said...

Hi Al!
I don't know if you remember me or not, but I'm Kathy's favorite cousin, Nancy. I think I last saw you several years ago during my Aunt Lil's birthday tour of some of Miami's architecture created by our Uncle Victor. Anyway... I've so enjoyed reading your blog and looking at the pictures, etc. I hope to talk to Kathy soon and get the entire scoop on your journey, as this really is the first I've known of it. Whatever the whole story behind it is, I get that it is for a worthy cause (kudos!) and that you are having a blast doing it. Maybe I'll have an opportunity to see you late October or November when I visit Kathy in Falls Church. I'd love to hear more about your adventures! By the way, I don't know how she does it either. Those genes skipped right over me. :)
Blessing to you!
Nancy Nellen Schilling